Tuesday, August 14, 2007

chak de india

oh, stop the cynicism all you who say it’s just another formulaic sports film.how many times have you seen a film take on so much at the same time? a film trying to revive interest in a sport that’s dying at the hands of cricket, a film without a romantic angle ns random song and dance sequences thrown in for good measure, about girl power and sexism, where the actors look like they can actually play hockey and are not dolls wielding the sticks like they were lipsticks. i have not seen a film in recent times that has treated women with the kind of intelligence that this film has. i loved the girls, i loved shah rukh, i cheered at the end and even got tense when they missed the goals. everyone go watch. now! and those who don’t, you will have forever relinquished bemoaning bollywood for being predictable.

2 comments:

Parul Gahlot said...

I agree! I agree! I totally feel the same way! I am so happy that you liked the film :)

ateya said...

I agree too, although I felt that while the typical argument was "its not like you can change anything anyway" (of the board and boyfriend) they never managed an argument against that. I guess it was more important to do than say but still, its important to be able to state the argument... (but I loved a lot in the film, especially the crazy almost unchoreographed fight scene.