Monday, March 09, 2009

mumbai meri jaan . platform

nowhere as slick as delhi 6 with perhaps the same problems- too trite and easy.. but so much better. perhaps it was because the incident was a real tragedy and not one some kala bandar inside our hearts, or maybe because it was because i knew that tejas had shards in his face from the blast- i thought it was, in spite of all the problems, a very good film. i admit to having a lump in my throat at the end. all the acting is terrific- my current favourite madhavan especially.

the world of ‘platform’ is a rural community in china in the 1980's. a group of young people who are part of the propaganda cultural cell experience the displacement of privatization when the company that they belong to becomes the ‘brakdance troupe’. as the films progresses it dissolves into plotless fragments that float around in emptiness. chracters drift in and out as they long for something to cling on to. the movie stayed with me for days.

1 comment:

Namrata said...

Mumbai meri Jaan is arguably one of the nicest films I have seen on Bombay. I saw it just after slum dog and I couldnt help but make comparisons to try and understand what made me so uncomfortable with one story and so emotional but comfortable with the other.