Thursday, November 23, 2006

nostalgia – my room



at the age of 14 or so my pop obsessions took over my room. there was not a single wall not plastered completely over by photographs of pop stars from the thumbnail photo to the life size. they were methodically cut out from any source i could lay my hands on – sun magazine, archies posters, newspapers.. besides my bed was the madonna shrine, opposite the prince wall and then the bruce springteen door. in between these were a-ha, wham, sigue sigue sputnik, paul young, culture club, cyndi lauper, tina turner, linel richie, michael jackson.. it’s a wonder my parents tolerated this. this photograph taken by sonal as i pose in what i think i assumed to be stylishly. i think i wanted to be part of the wall. damn! and i never even got my 15 minutes!

8 comments:

rauf said...

where are the speakers ?
Similar to mine, I had a huge john player special F1 car, steve McQueen, Bob Dylan, lots of Beetles, One side of the wall was covered with Twiggy. Bruce Lee for a short period then I took it off, No it fell off by itself due to heat, there was no fevicol, I used glue. Bruce Lee was a 4 part JS poster. Sun magazine came much later. Do you remember JS (Junior Statesman ? Yea one big Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry poster, thick imported, which came to me after much begging running erands for over a month, for one kanjoos bugger, Had to dust all his books,
clean all his 45's 78's with kerosene, took pictures of his fat sister, I borrowed money and took him and his girl friend to Dirty Dozens and 5 man Army. All for one bloody poster. He gave me a picture book of elvis too, and one beautiful catalogue or brochure of Volkswagon, damn thing had pictures on both sides. It was such a tragedy having pictures on both sides. You don't know which side to stick. I can go on and on Rohan.
Beautiful post, opened the floodgates of my memories.

Anonymous said...

Godd!! How different you looked ...
I love your 'NOSTALGIA' posts .. they are too good .. Its nice too see them..

Anonymous said...

very stylish!

Anonymous said...

At 14, I took a similar photograph against a similar background.

Just that at at 14 I would have considered your taste in music with condescension.

But you have grown up to be an OK sort of guy.

Anarchytect said...

ah! the rock snob!
megadeath, pink floyd, iron maiden, judas priest and the long haired ilk..
i got as far as the doors and pink floyd (whom i worshipped!!!) but could never get myself to stomach the metalheads whom i thought as silly and noisy.
then was the dylan phase... van morrison, derek and the dominoes, bruce springsteens 70s albums, the beatles.. until i got me updated with rem, u2..
but the story of my music tastes will take too much space and time..
but always always no matter what - i am a sucker for silly fun pop. even now- 'hit me baby one more time'

consciously subconscious said...

GOD !! were u a fanatic or wt ??!! .. and y jus 15 mins... i thot u've got a lifetime in print on pg.2 BT yr 2006 ...forgot ??

Anarchytect said...

yeah - tapan.. sorry i almost forgot about that

Anonymous said...

what a photee!!! ooh... definitely baby, hit me one more time. :)