Thursday, December 29, 2005

pickpocket . the marriage of maria braun



ninad, mukul, sonal, ranjit and me sat and saw two films today. the first was robert bresson’s ‘pickpocket’. i had seen ‘l’argent’ and ‘mouchette’ before and this film was also similar with its taut precise tone following a man who chooses to commit crimes because he believes he should be allowed to. i loved the general tone of the film, like i had of the other two films; and the smooth choreography of the pickpocketing sequences.

the heroine of fassbinders’ ‘the marriage of maria braun’ reminded me of the madonna of her ‘true blue’ period. the same kind of hard headed simple ambition and chutzpah as she uses her beauty and her intelligence to achieve what she sets out to do (for the sake of her missing husband). cool quote: “i'm a master of deceit: a capitalist tool by day, and by night an agent of the proletarian masses - the mata hari of the economic miracle.”

both great films, by the way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do u rent all these DVDs in mumbai ? Seems like, it has got some good collection.

Anarchytect said...

sarvodaya - in bandra

rauf said...

Passionate film makers are facing extinction.
The word verification is killing me. Actually I have been insisting my blogger friends to enable it to prevent spam as comments. I think the google guys have done something about it. I did not get a single spam comment ever since I removed word verification from my blog